Visa and travel information
This page last updated: 3 September 2009
Conference main page
Visa and travel permit information
Visas for Tajikistan can be obtained from the following Tajik Embassies:
For more information visit: http://www.mid.tj/
In addition to a visa for Tajikistan you will need a special permit for travel to Khorog, GBAO (Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region). Find out if your local embassy can issue you a permit to travel to GBAO. If you cannot obtain both the visa and the permit for travel to Khorog, please contact the FEL XIII organising committee.
If you require an invitation letter in order to apply for for the Tajikistan visa, please, contact the FEL XIII organising committee.
Check with your country's government website to see if you need vaccination before travel to Tajikistan.
The currency in Tajikistan is the somoni. The exchange rate is about US$1=3.42 somoni. It is recommended that participants also carry some US dollars which can be easily exchanged in Tajikistan.
Travel to Tajikistan
Conference participants are advised to arrive in Dushanbe, capital of Tajikistan, by early 23rd September. The organizing committee is arranging group travel from Dushanbe to Khorog on that day. The distance from Dushanbe to Khorog is over 560 km and requires 14-15 hours motoring through mountainous terrain. It is therefore advisable to travel in a group rather than individually. Participants will travel back to Dushanbe on 28th September and be able to set out for home destinations on 29th September.
Conference participants are advised to commit at least 1 week of stay in Tajikistan, as follows:
- arrive in Dushanbe: 21-22 September
- travel to Khorog: 23rd September
- conference: 24-26 September
- excursion: 27 September
- return to Dushanbe: 28 September
- depart Tajikistan: 29 September
Air travel to Tajikistan
Turkish Airlines flies from Istanbul on Monday and Wednesday (return the following day)
- Air Baltic flies London- Riga - Dushanbe twice a week - Monday and Friday, with return on Tuesday and Saturday. This schedule gives adequate time for connections from and to other European destinations
- Domodedovo Airlines and Tajikistan Airlines fly daily Moscow-Dushanbe from Domodedovo Airport in Moscow
- Somon Air flies daily from Moscow to Dushanbe, and every Tuesday from Dubai to Dushanbe
Travel between Dushanbe and Khorog
Travel from Dushanbe to Khorog and return to Dushanbe will be provided by the organisers and is included in the conference fee.