The Foundation for Endangered Languages is a registered charity with membership open to all individuals and organisations. By joining FEL, you express your support for the thousands of human languages that face the imminent threat of extinction. Your membership fees help our international advocacy and educational activities, subsidise community-based solidarity members, and enable our annual language support grants. See examples of the projects we support through our grants.
Benefits of membership also include:
- regular copies of our newsletter Ogmios
- a copy of our conference proceedings
- subscription to our mailing list
- eligibility to participate in our conferences
- access to our grants programme
- a discount on the registration fee for our annual FEL conferences
- you may be able claim tax exemption on your membership fee or donation due to FEL's charitable status
Types of membership
We offer three types of individual memberships:
- Regular membership is open to everybody with an interest in endangered languages
- Concession membership, at a reduced fee, is open to full-time students and unwaged persons. Please provide evidence by email to Steven Krauwer
- Solidarity membership, with no fee, is exclusively available to members of indigenous endangered language communities who are resident outside USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Israel, Saudi Arabia or Arab Emirates, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or European Union. Please indicate your language on the subscription form
We offer four types of corporate memberships:
- Commercial companies
- Official bodies, including government departments and other public bodies
- Voluntary bodies, including university departments and charity organisations
- Endangered language communities in any country, at no fee.
Please read the conditions and application instructions on this page before registering
Membership and FEL publications
- All members receive the latest copies of our quarterly newsletter Ogmios, by email
- All memberships include a free electronic copy of the FEL conference proceedings
- Paper copies of our newsletter, proceedings and other publications are available at special member rates via the FEL conference registration, membership and order form (hosted for FEL by Utrecht University)
- Free paper copies of our newsletter and of the FEL proceedings are available to commercial companies, official bodies and voluntary bodies that are members of FEL.
How to join as a new member or to renew your existing membership
Due to a severe server crash the membership renewal and ordering pages are not accessible at this moment. As this very unfortunately coincides with a migration of our university servers to a completely new system it may take some time to get the problem solved or have an emergency solution in place. We applogize for that.
If you intend to renew your membership or order proceedings you can send me an email (email@example.com) letting me know what you wanted to do. Your renewal will be effective as of the date I receive your message and I will send you a personal email once the problem has been fixed.